Tuesday, January 31, 2012

On getting organized


Like most, I’ve set some new year’s goals. In addition to a few personal resolutions, I decided that I was going to get organized. Now the majority of my friends would tell you I’m bordering on OCD with some of my need for order. I am here to tell you that there are several areas in which I can improve my organization skills.


  1. Finances. I’m the first to admit that I am forgetful with where my money goes. It’s not intentional, it’s not excessive shopping. I was told by my family so many times that I was not good with money that I began to believe them. Not only am I going to take full control of my finances and get more organized, I am going to begin believing that I can be good with money.
  2. Morning routine. I don’t like being late. I don’t like being rushed. As a side effect to my insomnia, mornings can sometimes be a little more than rough. To make my life a little easier and less stressful, I am going to pick out and iron my outfit for the next day and prepare my breakfast/lunch the night before. I’m also striving to press snooze once before getting out of bed.
  3. Scripture reading. I made a spiritual study schedule and I intend to stick to it. It is my hope that with this schedule I will not only be spiritually fed but be prepared to participate in Sunday school and Relief Society.
  4. Minimize belongings. I’ve always had a lot of stuff. When you haven’t changed shoe or clothing sizes since 8th grade, one can accumulate a rather stuffed closet. Every time I buy a new piece of clothing, I am forcing myself to donate another one from my closet. I’m also going to organize/donate my rarely used craft supplies and kitchen stuff.
  5. Preparedness. I rely on the crutch of being single in this area. The prophet said to be prepared for emergencies and I intend to follow his counsel (especially with the end of the world coming this year…haha). Food storage and 72-hour kits are on my mind!

No comments: