I have been told by some of the few people who actually read this blog that it was time for an update.
I just kicked off my four inch heels I have been wearing all day and sat down at the computer to think about the day. My feet are killing me, I have bags under my eyes, my hair is in knots (thanks to the huge amounts of hairspray that my cousin put in my hair this morning and the lovely Rexburg winds) and I am exhausted. It has been quite the day today. Here's why....
Many of you know that I have a really close-knit group from my college days at BYU--Idaho...specifically from my freshman year. I like to refer to them as the dang locals. Steve, Bryce and Nye (Ryan) are three of my best friends. We spent a lot of time ignoring curfew, sneaking out, and eating Denny's that first year of school. I also wrote all three of them on their missions. It's amazing to think that we are still such good friends because we have watched so many of our other friends move off, get married or have kids. Somehow the four of us managed to stay single for this long. .. until today. Nye decided that this cute girl Diana was the girl of his dreams and they decided to be sealed for time and all eternity in the beautiful Rexburg temple today.
It's hard to believe that one of us finally decided to take the plunge as we have ALL faced commitment issues...clearly...and have seemed to have never been able to find "the one." Seeing your best friend get married and move onto a different stage of life is rather interesting and bittersweet, especially when that person is of the opposite sex. I cannot help but be ecstatic for him because I have never seen him happier but it is sad because things will never be the same again. Just because I know that change is never easy but it is necessary for growth does not mean that I have to like it.
After the sealing and luncheon we had a couple of hours before the reception. My cousin was at work and my sister was in Idaho Falls so I needed to find something to do. I thought, I should go visit people. That was when I had the realization that I know very few people in Rexburg anymore. What a sad realization, but also a necessary one. Since leaving my beloved BYU-I, I have missed it dearly. Life was centered more on fun, homework and the big party on Friday night and was just a little more simple. Sure there were struggles, but at the end of the day life seemed easier than it does now. I also realized how young the students there are--did you know that the freshman class was born in 1990???? Seriously. Anyway, today was a wake-up call in the sense that I feel that I no longer belong at BYU--Idaho. Truth be told, when I went to visit my cousin at work (at the library) I felt out of place, like I had stepped back in time. I have now accepted that I belong with the young professional group, rather than the undergrad students. It just feels weird to think that I am no longer a part of flirting in the library instead of studying, "themed" dates (which I ALWAYS thought were weird anyway), devotionals and the testing center. It's been just over six years since I started college at BYU-Idaho but it feels like yesterday. I still remember the awe that I felt seeing so many "Mormons" when I got there. A small town girl from Bangs, Texas very rarely had the opportunity to be around a lot so it was quite the shock.
I have been so blessed by a place so great. BYU-I was an amazing place to learn what life was all about and I wouldn't be the person that I am today if it were not for the experiences that I had there. Congrats to Ryan and Diana! I wish you the very best in your life together! Sorry I don't have any pics right now but I will post them as soon as I can!
3 comments:
I definately miss the good ol days of going to school at BYUI. I live back in rexburg and it is a weird feeling to not be attending school and doing single people things. Got to miss those fun days!
Here here!
Those were the days Shandi!!! I know what you mean about not fitting in at BYU-I. I felt like that my whole last year there! lol! I am guessing that I am one of those friends you referred to that had moved on....ouch. JK! I miss you tons and we just live minutes away. So we need to get together! Love ya!
Post a Comment