Monday, September 14, 2009

An almost trip to Canada

So my two roomies and decided last minute to drive up to the Hill Cumorah pageant on a Saturday morning. We got there about an hour before the show started, leaving us just enough time to take a quick peak at the Sacred Grove.


Due to a torrential downpour about halfway through the show, we decide to make the two-hour drive to Niagara Falls (mind you, it was already 10:30 p.m.). We call a friend and ask him to book us a hotel on Priceline on the American side of Niagara. What does he do? He gets us a hotel in Canada. Due to a new immigration law, you now have to have a passport or birth certificate to cross the border. Awesome. So we decide to try Buffalo, NY instead. We go to like 15 hotels and none of them had any vacancies. I felt like I was Mary and Joseph because there was NO ROOM AT THE INN...at this point we were tired, soaked and grumpy. That's when we decided to sneak across the border* (kind of like you did once Natalie! ha!).



We make such cute illegal immigrants.

But then we got to see the falls from above and below. That was awesome. We waved at Canada from the water. I believe that I was sprayed by some of the Canadian falls. They did not ask me for a passport for that experience.

I was the captain of our ship. Clearly I have no sense of direction (see below).


This is right before we were swallowed up by the falls.

*I am kidding, of course. Unlike Natalie, we did not actually sneak across the border. We stayed in a disgusting junky motel that had a giant teddy bear on the bed, the bed that all three of us shared for the night.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

But Natalie did stay in a disgusting, junky hotel, just before getting kicked to the curb (aka ornamental teepee).

Shandi Elise Hill said...

i love that story. mostly because the first time i heard her tell it was when she was giving a talk at church. it's amazing what you say when you're nervous.